Dear Emily 2010,
Every year you say that this year will be the "perfect" Christmas: clever, handmade gifts for all, delicious cookies, gorgeous tree, prefectly-wrapped presents under that tree. Every year something trips it up. There will very likely be a trip to the emergency room, a car accident, 10 days of snow or anything else that might make the holidays less than you are hoping for.
This is ok.
You will still have a wonderful holiday with people you love.
Try to remember this as you are frantically preparing this year's festivities. Some tips I wish I would've stuck to:
- Handmade gifts are done by the 15th or you put them down 'til next year.
- Sugar cookies are a pain to make with kids- make sure you have help!
- Remember to take pictures. You have none from 2009.
- Really, you don't have to try to make gifts for the neighbors. It will just stress you out.
- If you take the trouble to prepare Christmas cards- SEND THEM OUT.
- Just. Relax.
Emily 2009 (your older, wiser self)